Saturday 8 September 2012

Prologue to USA trip

I'm off to the USA to visit Signs Publishing Company's major suppliers of resources, Review and Herald and Pacific Press. Usually a visit is made in February to coincide with the annual Adventist Book Center marketing seminar (when all the new products are released) but this time of year is less busy for me (and it happens to coincide with more pleasant weather in the USA - early fall instead of winter).

Review and Herald is located in Hagerstown, Maryland, and is the larger of the two church-owned publishing houses. While in the area, I'll also be visiting the GC and Ellen White Estate, and one of the largest ABCs at Potomac. And fitting in some sightseeing (think White House, Congress, Smithsonian...)

Pacific Press is located in Boise, Idaho, and also distributes Chapel music (think Heritage Singers, Kings Heralds, Jaime Jorge etc). They also distribute Signs-published books, so I've brought our latest one to show them, which is When God Calls Expect Adventure. It is the story of Lester Hawkes' missionary work in PNG. Look out for it in the Bookshelf catalogue in October on www.hopeshop.com

While on the west coast, I'll also be visiting Leanne Krause (nee Jackupec) in LA, who is an old school friend. Then it's home time on Sept 21.

This is my first blogging attempt (I don't think my everyday life is of particular interest and I certainly don't have the time or interest to maintain it), and is more so a travel diary for me (so if it is rambling and boring, that is my excuse). I'm also travelling alone, so I don't have anyone to share the interesting things with immediately and have to write them down to re-enjoy and remember the moment.

Look after Scott and Ally for me while I'm away...

Rachel

No comments: